Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ancient & Massive


I can easily say that the most appealing thing in this city, to me, is the abundance of old buildings. As an architecture student, a lot of my personal drive comes from studying and learning from old buildings; a large part of what I want to do in my field involves restoration and rehabilitation of these structures. Seeing Florence in all its glory, and realizing that every single building in the city has been here for a long time has been a real eye-opener for me. I'm realizing that all I want to do can, in fact, be done. Although I'm a little overwhelmed with how much beautiful architecture is here, I am doing my best to take it all in and really look for the details that make that particular building what it is. This one, for example, wouldn't be nearly as interesting to me if it weren't for the crumbling of the facade, and the exposed brick structure that is starting to show where there is deterioration.

No comments:

Post a Comment