Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Caravaggio Exhibit (Uffizi)




I am so glad to have been able to see this many Caravaggio paintings. Nothing in school can compare to seeing them in person. This particular sketch (sketch 2) is a portion of The Medusa. Her eyes being the most engaging part of the piece captivated me. Caravaggio's way of capturing intense emotion is uncontested of any other artist of that time period, in my opinion.

This particular exhibit in the Uffizi also gave me quite a pleasant surprise. An artist's works that have also amazed me were featured here as her works are very similar to Caravaggio's. Artemisa Gentileschi, best known for her Judith and Holophernes (Sketch 1), had this painting along with about 7 others. I never thought I'd see her work in a show in my life either. There have been so many different times here, in Florence, where I am completely astonished by what I am seeing in person. Things I never thought I'd be able to study before, right there in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment