Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Italy_Notes_Venus_of_Urbino

Today was quite the experience. While going back to the Uffizi a second time, and really looking for the five paintings that really stood out, it hit me. This feeling was like a time warp through the last six months of my life in my Art History class. Seeing more than a hand full of paintings in real life that I recognized from prior slideshows, history books, and personal papers I was truly moved. The one painting that truly got me the second time around was the Venus of Urbino. Just how Tiziano contrasted her and that dog, with the painting done by him directly to the right of the Venus really spoke to me. Yes we may never understand what he really meant by this “nude”, but we can all have our own separate ideas. Thinking about that notion is what I feel viewing all these artworks are all about. Scholars may have the official word, but to ourselves no one can tell us what we think. Artwork will always be up for interpretation and that is what makes it art.



No comments:

Post a Comment