Friday, June 11, 2010





While visiting the ancient Roman Amphitheater in Fiesole, I noticed that it was featuring a contemporary artist that had his sculptures strewn throughout the ruins. Personally I found his work to be really intriguing. It's always exciting to bump into an artist that really connects to you through his work. His name is Gunther Stilling and works mostly, from what I've seen in Bronze Casting. His sculptures focus on human form meshed with a mechanic and futuristic feel all the while reflecting ancient Roman artwork. He keeps the bronze looking old and tarnished so it fits in with the Ruins around. I think his work kind of fits in to what we are studying and focusing on: The Contemporary Italian aesthetic and how it ancient reflects modern. Perhaps he was celebrating the Roman's high class and advanced culture?

2 comments:

  1. Really liked his work also, I believe his name is Gunther Stilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, Jake, my fault let me change that.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete