Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Slightly dark image, but this was my sketch of Madonna with the Long Neck. I had remembered seeing this piece in the books during Art History, but with the actual size of the painting everything seemed that much more elongated. And what's more, is that when choosing to draw this painting I really took notice as to how long I was making the curve of her neck, and it really threw me off when drawing both the Madonna and Christ. The length of Christ's body and her neck were so much more pronounced when drawing them first hand, and I thought it made for a really momentous experience. For a moment, I felt as though I knew the deliberateness of Parmagianino when he was painting.

The distance that is created between Madonna and Christ makes for such a different experience than all the other images of the same thing. The flow through the picture from the top of Madonna's head to her arm where Christ's head, and then along his body to me creates a much more spiritual experience and was so neat to see first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment